December 17, 2013 - 1:52 PM
Momentary carelessness can lead to a lifetime of regret, so keep safety in mind during preparations for this busy holiday season.
The Kelowna Fire Department has compiled a list of safety tips worth reviewing to ensure decorations and Christmas trees are tended to with appropriate care and attention.
Among the holiday safety services offered by the Kelowna Fire Department is Christmas tree chipping after the holiday. For a donation to the B.C. Burn Fund, local firefighters will chip tinsel-free Christmas trees Jan. 4-5 at the Enterprise Way fire hall and at the DeHart Road fire hall.
During the holiday season, the KFD offers this checklist of safety tips to ensure everyone has a safe and happy Christmas.
Christmas trees and decorations
- One in three Christmas tree fires is caused by electrical failures.
- Buy fresh trees and keep them well watered.
- Keep trees at least three feet away from heat sources such as radiators or fireplaces.
- Inspect holiday lights every year for frayed wires, bare spots, gaps in the insulation, broken or cracked sockets and excessive kinking or wear.
- Use only lights approved by a testing laboratory, such as CSA, UL or ULC.
- Do not link more than three light strands, unless directions indicate it is safe.
- Periodically check wires – they should not be warm to touch.
- Some lights are only for indoor or outdoor use.
- Always turn off all lights before sleeping or leaving the house.
Candles and other flammables get their own category of safety tips, since half of all holiday decoration fires are caused by a heat source.
Candles and matches
- Avoid using lit candles
- Never put lit candles on a tree
- Never leave candles unattended
- Never put wrapping paper in a fireplace
- Place menorah/kinara on a steady table and make sure all combustibles are at least three feet from the candles’ flame.
- Avoid putting your menorah/kinara in windows or near doorways, where exits will be blocked.
- Provide smokers with an outdoor area and a deep ashtray.
- Keep matches and lighters out of the reach of children.
News from © InfoTel News Ltd, 2013