Current Conditions

-9.6°C

Human error led to gorillas getting into kitchen at the Calgary Zoo

October 03, 2013 - 5:29 AM

CALGARY - The Calgary Zoo says it was a human error that allowed some of its gorillas to get into the area where their food is prepared.

The zookeeper's kitchen is attached to the apes' enclosure and the zoo says someone simply left the door open.

The zoo says appropriate disciplinary action has been taken but it didn't offer specifics in a news release.

A similar incident happened with the kitchen door earlier this year and the employee involved was fired.

That keeper had previously also taken responsibility for leaving a knife inside the gorilla enclosure in 2009.

The zoo says it will look at taking steps to make sure the door is never left open again.

News from © The Canadian Press , 2013
The Canadian Press

  • Popular vernon News
  • Comments

View Site in: Desktop | Mobile