May 23, 2014 - 2:55 PM
KELOWNA - The HAZMAT team was called to the Rutland Water Works pump Friday morning for a reported chlorine leak though evacuation of the area was not required.
The Kelowna Fire Department received the call at 10:29 a.m. and when the team arrived they discovered a regulator malfunction on a 150 pound bottle of chlorine set off the alarm near onsite workers. When the alarm sounded, Water Works evacuated the area and called for help.
Kelowna Fire and the Hazardous Material Team monitored the surrounding area, determining an evacuation was not required.
HAZMAT entered the pump house in full level A encapsulated suits complete with a breathing apparatus to contain the leak by capping off the leaking bottle.
Kelowna Fire responded to the call with two engines, a command unit, a hazardous material trailer and the team. They were assistance by B.C. Ambulance Service and city bylaw for traffic control.
To contact the reporter for this story, email Adam Proskiw at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 250-718-0428. To contact the editor, email email@example.com or call 250-718-2724.
News from © InfoTel News Ltd, 2014