Grease fire causes extensive damage at Kamloops apartment complex

A grease fire at a home on MacBeth Place in Kamloops on Tuesday, Aug. 30, 2016 caused extensive damage.

KAMLOOPS - Two units of a Westend apartment complex have extensive fire damage after a late night grease fire.

Kamloops Fire Rescue Platoon Capt. Steve Kilmartin says crews were called to the 600 block of MacBeth Place around 12:42 a.m., Aug. 30, for a structure fire.

“When they arrived flames and smoke were showing from several windows and doors,” he says.

The building is a complex with single story attached units. The fire originated in one unit and crept into on neighbouring unit. Others may have water damage, Kilmartin says. One car out front was damaged by smoke and heat as well.

No injuries were reported.

Kilmartin says the fire spread quickly.

“The tenant says she was cooking with a pot of oil and it flared up,” he says.

Emergency social services were contacted to provide temporary accomodation for those displaced.


To contact a reporter for this story, email Brendan Kergin or call 250-819-6089 or email the editor. You can also submit photos, videos or news tips to the newsroom and be entered to win a monthly prize draw.

We welcome your comments and opinions on our stories but play nice. We won't censor or delete comments unless they contain off-topic statements or links, unnecessary vulgarity, false facts, spam or obviously fake profiles. If you have any concerns about what you see in comments, email the editor in the link above. 


letters-to-the-editor
CANNINGS: Celebrate Canada Day by learning the full history of Canada
  OPINION Editor, Parliament has risen, and it feels very good to be back in British Columbia for the summer. Ottawa is gearing up for the big Canada Day festivities for the 150th birthday of our country, but I ca

Top News