September 03, 2015 - 1:17 PM
KAMLOOPS - A grease fire that broke out in a large deep fryer at Fresh is Best Salsa & Co. caused a lot of smoke but was quickly extinguished Wednesday night.
Kamloops Fire and Rescue were called around 7 p.m. yesterday, Sept. 2, to Fresh is Best to extinguish a grease fire. When they arrived firefighters were directed to the kitchen area in the back of the building, where Platoon Capt. Jeff Bell says there was quite a bit of smoke.
Bell says the fire was extinguished in a bin that collects the chip waste.
While Bell says investigators are currently looking into the cause of the fire, Fresh is Best owner Colin McGaffin says is was a grease fire that originated in a large deep fryer.
“Chip particle waste needs to be dealt with by the end of the day,” he explains, adding if not cleaned properly, pieces of tortilla chip can combust in the grease.
McGaffin believes particles fell into the bin from the fryer.
The scene was cleared little over an hour later. Ten firefighters and four fire vehicles stayed on scene until smoke was cleared and investigators arrived.
No injuries were reported and currently there is no estimate of damages.
“Thank goodness steel doesn’t burn,” McGaffin says, noting he believes damage was minimal.
Fresh is Best is open for business today, Sept. 3, but the deep fryer remains off.
To contact a reporter for this story, email Dana Reynolds at email@example.com or call 250-819-6089. To contact an editor, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 250-718-2724.
News from © InfoTel News Ltd, 2015