July 06, 2016 - 5:30 PM
PENTICTON - Penticton firefighters were called to a structure fire on Fairview Road around noon today.
Penticton Fire Chief Larry Watkinson says both engines from number one and two halls arrived at a residence on Fairview Road near Fairview Grocery to find a fire burning on a cedar roof.
Watkinson says firefighters were able to quickly douse the blaze before it could spread inside the structure.
The fire is believed to have ignited from sparks emanating from the chimney after the resident began burning cardboard in his fireplace.
Watkinson says age of the dry cedar roof was a factor in the blaze.
Summerland firefighters were also called to a barbecue blaze on Giant’s Head Road at around 3:30 this afternoon.
Firefighters arrived to find a barbecue in flames on the resident’s driveway. They hosed down the propane tank to keep it cool, returning to the firehall just after 4 p.m.
To contact a reporter for this story, email Steve Arstad or call 250-488-3065 or email the editor. You can also submit photos, videos or news tips to the newsroom and be entered to win a monthly prize draw.
We welcome your comments and opinions on our stories but play nice. We won't censor or delete comments unless they contain off-topic statements or links, unnecessary vulgarity, false facts, spam or obviously fake profiles. If you have any concerns about what you see in comments, email the editor in the link above.
News from © InfoTel News Ltd, 2016