Current Conditions


Fire on McKinley Road likely caused by battery charger

Nobody was injured in a McKinley Road house fire that erupted in the basement March 13.
March 13, 2014 - 4:38 PM

KELOWNA - A fire erupted in the basement of a home on the 800 block of McKinley Road just after 3 p.m. Thursday.

The Kelowna Fire Department rushed to the scene to find smoke coming from around the chimney area. The smoke was actually coming from the basement and the fire itself was quickly doused.

The upper part of the house is occupied by a woman, Tammie O'Rielly and her grown son. The basement is occupied by O'Rielly's elderly father who had model planes and gasoline stored. He was not home at the time of the fire. The initial spark likely came from the ignition on a battery charger firefighters say.

O'Rielly and her son were home when the fire began.

"I went down to his workshop, he's (father) got 20 or so planes, and there were flames everywhere," O'Rielly says adding she tried to put out the fire herself with a fire extinguisher, but had to give up because of the smoke.

Everyone, including the family's two dogs escaped. There were no injuries, however Tammie was treated for smoke inhalation.

To contact the reporter for this story, email Adam Proskiw at, call (250) 718-0428.

— This story was changed at 4:11 p.m. to correct the spelling of a name and to clarify the address of the fire.

News from © InfoTel News Ltd, 2014
InfoTel News Ltd

  • Popular kelowna News
  • Comments

View Site in: Desktop | Mobile