August 12, 2016 - 4:36 PM
VICTORIA - The homeless camp outside Victoria's courthouse is now shut down.
The provincial government says homes have been provided or offered to all the campers at the site and the tent city has been closed, in accordance with a court order issued in July.
The former campsite in downtown Victoria has been fenced off.
The government says in a news release that shelter was made available to more than 300 people from the encampment, including more than 100 who recently moved into a newly renovated building offering supportive housing.
The chief justice of the B.C. Supreme Court ruled the encampment was unsafe last month and ordered it shut down.
In accordance with that order, the ministry says it collected the names of all those at the site who were in need of housing and gave them an opportunity to move into the renovated housing.
We were able to bring this situation to a peaceful resolution," says Rich Coleman, minister responsible for housing.
"Now we can go in and start to clean up the site."
News from © The Canadian Press, 2016