Dryer fire results in temporary evacuation of Penticton apartment building

Penticton firefighters ventilate a Brunswick Avenue apartment following a dryer fire on Monday, Jan.4.
Image Credit: Skylar Noe-Vack

PENTICTON - Residents of a Brunswick Street apartment were forced from their residences for a short period yesterday evening.

Firefighters responded to a call of a dryer fire on the fourth floor of a Brunswick Street apartment complex around 6:40 p.m., Monday, Jan. 4, Penticton Fire Department Deputy Chief Dave Spalding says.

Firefighters arrived to find the unit filled with heavy smoke coming from a lint trap in a dryer.

A 20-pound dry chemical extinguisher was used to put out the fire, which also set off the building’s fire alarm.

Firefighters removed the dryer from the building and vented the unit of smoke.  Firefighters were on scene for approximately one hour.

No damage or injuries were reported in the incident. Spalding says residents were allowed back into their units quickly.

To contact a reporter for this story, email Steve Arstad at sarstad@infonews.ca or call 250-488-3065. To contact the editor, email mjones@infonews.ca or call 250-718-2724.

Editor's Note in response to allegations from Vernon RCMP Supt. Jim McNamara
Editor’s note: • Watch shifts at the Vernon detachment have fallen to as low as three roadable officers. • The department suffers from chronic understaffing. • Sources, who we trust and who have knowledge of the s

Top News