Current Conditions

Light Rain
1.7°C

Downtown Kelowna home severely damaged in kitchen fire

September 22, 2016 - 7:43 AM

KELOWNA - A downtown resident managed to avoid injury after waking up to find a fire in his kitchen early this morning.

Kelowna Fire Department Platoon Capt. Steve Wallick says crews were called out at 2:48 this morning, Sept. 22, to the 500 block of Elliot Ave where they saw flames coming out a side window. The resident told firefighters he woke up to find the house filled with smoke and called 911. He said the fire started after he fell asleep while cooking.

Wallick said the fire started in the kitchen. 

"Fire crews contained and extinguished the fire, however the structure suffered considerable damage," Wallick said. 

The man was treated by ambulance at the scene but suffered no injuries.


To contact a reporter for this story, email Adam Proskiw or call 250-718-0428 or email the editor. You can also submit photos, videos or news tips to the newsroom and be entered to win a monthly prize draw.

We welcome your comments and opinions on our stories but play nice. We won't censor or delete comments unless they contain off-topic statements or links, unnecessary vulgarity, false facts, spam or obviously fake profiles. If you have any concerns about what you see in comments, email the editor in the link above. 

News from © InfoTel News Ltd, 2016
InfoTel News Ltd

  • Popular kelowna News
  • Comments

View Site in: Desktop | Mobile