August 04, 2016 - 11:40 AM
KELOWNA - The City of West Kelowna’s Building Department is reminding residents and contractors that building permits are required before work starts on many home repair and renovation projects.
Permits are required for:
- Repairs, additions or alternations to existing buildings including:
Alterations to exterior and load bearing walls
Relocating existing plumbing or gas lines
Installing or replacing plumbing and/or fixtures or gas lines
Making structural repairs or changes
- Restoration work caused by flood or fire
- Moving and/or placement of buildings and structures
- Developing a secondary suite
- Basement renovations
- Interior and exterior alternations of buildings and structures which involve materials or systems controlled by the Building Code of BC
- Retaining walls greater than 1.2 metres in height
- Change of use of a commercial or industrial building and/or tenant improvements. Please consult with Building Department staff prior to signing a lease and/or applying for a business license.
A comprehensive list of building permit requirements can be found in Section 8 of the Building Bylaw No. 0086, available on the City’s website here.
To avoid penalties, work stoppages or possible home insurance implications, homeowners planning building projects should ensure that a building permit is in place before starting work, whether work is done by homeowners or qualified trades professionals. If you have a project underway without a permit, or need more information, please connect with the Building Department staff at (778) 797-8820.
News from © InfoTel News Ltd, 2016