February 12, 2014 - 2:56 PM
The District of Coldstream is one of 180 BC Municipalities that signed the Climate Action Charter, pledging to be operationally carbon neutral by 2012. The District has measured its emissions associated with municipal operations, reduced emissions where possible and, for 2013, offset what the municipality was unable to reduce.
“The District of Coldstream has worked hard to reach the goal of being Carbon Neutral. This initiative will help to ensure that we become a more sustainable community. I am glad that we have reached this point and will continue to seek new initiatives for the betterment of our community,” Mayor Jim Garlick says.
As well as offsetting carbon emissions, the District also implemented reduction initiatives including:
- Development of a Civic Building Action Plan;
- Development of a Fuel Efficient Action Plan;
- Development of a Green Infrastructure Plan;
- Adopt the Solar Ready Initiative;
- Adopt a Tax Revitalization Program to support Sustainability Initiatives.
News from © InfoTel News Ltd, 2014