Current Conditions

Mostly Cloudy
-7.6°C

City hopes to add more police in 2015

June 09, 2014 - 12:41 PM

KAMLOOPS - If the city wants to be considered for new RCMP officers in 2015-2016 a decision will need to be made this week.

City council is being asked to authorize a letter of ‘Approval in Principle’ for two new officers. It is believed these officers would be required to help support the proposed nuisance abatement bylaw and ‘other resource requirements’ though the new officers would only be required if council does choose to adopt such a bylaw.

The city funds 90 per cent of police services with the other 10 per cent coming from the federal government. The federal fiscal year does not line up with the city one, which is why a letter about planning and is not a formal approval, is required now.

Two new officers would increase the overall police budget by $304,327, or 1.4 per cent.

To contact a reporter for this story, email Jennifer Stahn at jstahn@infotelnews.ca or call 250-819-3723. To contact an editor, email mjones@infotelnews.ca or call 250-718-2724.

News from © InfoTel News Ltd, 2014
InfoTel News Ltd

  • Popular penticton News
  • Comments

View Site in: Desktop | Mobile