Citizens put Rayleigh fire out before firefighters can arrive

Image Credit: iStockphoto.com

KAMLOOPS - Firefighters responded, but weren’t needed, at a fire in Kamloops last night as locals were able to extinguish the flames quickly.

Kamloops Fire Rescue assistant chief Dave McMahon says no one was injured and no structures damaged, July 21, after a fire broke out at a home in Rayleigh. Citizens at the scene were able to put the fire out before firefighters arrived.

“They were able to extinguish the flames prior to us arriving on scene,” he says. “Very little was done by ourselves.”

McMahon says the fire was on the outside of a building and wasn’t able to get going. He isn’t sure what started the fire, but suspects it may have been an overburdened extension cord.


To contact a reporter for this story, email Brendan Kergin or call 250-819-6089 or email the editor. You can also submit photos, videos or news tips to the newsroom and be entered to win a monthly prize draw.

We welcome your comments and opinions on our stories but play nice. We won't censor or delete comments unless they contain off-topic statements or links, unnecessary vulgarity, false facts, spam or obviously fake profiles. If you have any concerns about what you see in comments, email the editor in the link above. 


The neglected kittens, including the one pictured in this submitted photo, are under veterinary care and the adult cats are being assessed by the B.C. SPCA locations.
B.C. SPCA seizes 59 cats from Chase property
CHASE – Forty-seven adult cats and 12 kittens were rescued from a property in Chase where they lived in poor conditions and suffered neglect and medical problems. Officials with the B.C. SPCA are recommending charges of animal cruelty

Top News