February 20, 2015 - 11:16 AM
KELOWNA – David Wesley Bobbitt, who pleaded guilty to sexually and physically assaulting a 22-year-old Penticton woman in 2011, isn’t feeling well. And he doesn’t like his lawyer either.
Final submissions in the Supreme Court case that began last year concluded Friday, with Bobbitt, 39, saying he wasn’t happy with how his lawyer James Pennington has handled the case. Justice Peter Rogers gave Bobbitt some time to speak with Pennington and after a short break, asked him if he had anything he’d like to say.
“I don’t have anything ready,” he said. “I don’t feel well. I haven’t slept in a week.”
The sad statement from the man who admits he took a woman hostage, raped her and hit her repeatedly over the head with a hammer while her two-year-old son watched had little effect on Rogers who called an end to the trial.
“That really speaks to Dr. Lohrasbe’s statements that he sees himself as a victim,” Crown lawyer Debra Drissell said outside the court room. “He has no attachment to the truth.”
Sentencing will take place in Penticton sometime in March.
On Monday the dangerous offender hearing resumed after a seven month break. Crown lawyers are asking Justice Rogers to label Bobbitt a dangerous offender and give him an indeterminate sentence, meaning he could be kept in custody the rest of his life. If Rogers does not deem him a dangerous offender, Crown is asking for a 19 to 23 year prison sentence with 10 years of probation.
The trial, which began in Penticton June 23, was moved to Kelowna earlier this week because of scheduling issues.
Follow this link for all stories relating to the trial.
To contact the reporter for this story, email Adam Proskiw at email@example.com or call 250-718-0428. To contact the editor, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 250-718-2724.
News from © InfoTel News Ltd, 2015