Current Conditions

Mostly Cloudy
1.0°C

Bill Cosby's comedy tour begins to crumble as more women allege sexual assault

FILE - In this Nov. 6, 2014 file photo, Entertainer Bill Cosby gestures during an interview about the upcoming exhibit, Conversations: African and African-American Artworks in Dialogue, at the Smithsonian's National Museum of African Art, in Washington. Cosby's appearance at Tuscon’s Desert Diamond Casino has been canceled. No reason was given by the casino for the canceled date, which had been scheduled for Feb. 15. In the past week, numerous allegations of sexual abuse by Cosby from a number of women have led to canceled interviews and NBC and Netflix projects. “The Cosby Show” also was pulled off the air on TV Land. Cosby issued a statement Sunday discrediting decades-old accusations and his attorney has denied four of the allegations.
Image Credit: AP Photo/Evan Vucci
November 22, 2014 - 7:29 AM

NEW YORK, N.Y. - Performances by Bill Cosby in Nevada, Illinois, Arizona, South Carolina and Washington State have been cancelled as more women come forward accusing the entertainer of sexually assaulting them many years ago.

The director of The Broadway Center in Tacoma, Washington said Friday that it has cancelled Cosby's April 18 appearance because it conflicts with the non-profit organization's mission "to strengthen our community's social fabric by building empathy, furthering education and sharing joy."

"We were not confident in our ability to meet those objectives by proceeding with Mr. Cosby's performance," David Fischer said.

Cosby's lawyer has said claims by four women are untrue; a statement from Cosby on Sunday dismissed most of the others as "decade-old, discredited allegations."

Officials at the Treasure Island hotel and casino on the Las Vegas strip said Friday they mutually agreed with the comedian to cancel his Nov. 28 performance. No reason was given by the Diamond Desert casino in Tucson, Arizona, for cancelling his Feb. 15 show.

Two other appearances, scheduled for April in Champaign, Illinois, also were called off Friday, as were February shows in Reno, Nevada, and in Florence, South Carolina.

Producers said Cosby, 77, still planned to bring his comedy routine to a sold-out theatre in Melbourne, Florida, Friday night, and at least 29 other shows remain on his schedule through May 2015.

Projects on NBC and Netflix have been cancelled, and TV Land decided not to air reruns of "The Cosby Show" after recent allegations by more than six women that Cosby sexually assaulted them after giving them pills many years ago.

Some of the women are going public again after initially coming forward around 2005, when Andrea Constand filed a civil suit alleging that she was sexually assaulted by Cosby. The Pennsylvania woman's lawyer said other women were prepared to make similar claims, but the case was settled before trial.

Tamara Green, a California attorney, was among those who had agreed to testify. She later said Cosby tried to sexually assault her in her Los Angeles apartment around 1970, when she was a model and an aspiring actress.

She said Cosby asked her to help him raise money to open a private dance club. When she got sick shortly after starting the project, she said Cosby gave her two pills that made her almost lose consciousness, took her to her apartment, undressed her and then took his clothes off.

"I got really angry," she told The Associated Press in an interview on Friday. She recalled screaming and trying to break a window with a lamp as she fought off Cosby's advances. He eventually left, leaving two $100 bills on her nightstand, she recalled.

"I think that my blood pressure and my fury was keeping me from losing consciousness," she said.

Another woman, Joan Tarshis, decided to tell her story publicly for the first time on Monday.

Now 66, Tarshis said Cosby gave her drug-laced drinks twice in 1969, forcing her to perform a sex act the first time and raping her the second time. She said she told no one about this for decades, and only decided to go public when she read a Nov. 13 column in The Washington Post by Barbara Bowman, who alleges she was drugged and raped by Cosby when she was 17.

"I actually spoke with Barbara Bowman yesterday," Tarshis told the AP on Friday. "It was great. Because she's a person who understands what I've been through ... I said, 'I'm giving you a hug all the way to Arizona.'"

Cosby's representatives have broadly dismissed the accusations. He has never been charged with any such crime. Cosby himself has consistently refused to comment on it.

"We don't answer that," Cosby told the AP this month.

News from © The Associated Press, 2014
The Associated Press

  • Popular kamloops News
  • Comments

View Site in: Desktop | Mobile