February 03, 2014 - 4:12 PM
KELOWNA - Rutland residents and businesses are invited to share 100K Worth of Ideas they want invested in the Rutland Town Centre.
The City of Kelowna and partner organizations are asking for suggestions to turn ideas into $100,000 in investments that enhance Rutland’s already strong sense of community.
In partnership with The Rutland Unified Stakeholders Team (TRUST), Uptown Rutland Business Association (URBA) and the Rutland Residents Association, funds will be available for Our Rutland projects – either one large project or several smaller projects to be realized by the fall.
These ideas can include infrastructure, beautification or programming initiatives:
- Arts, culture, agricultural and recreational initiatives, such as pop-up parks, farmer’s market or wall murals
- Public space improvements/enhancements, such as street furniture, benches or lighting
- Existing community asset improvements – improved signage, for example
- Community programs that might not be available today but would be welcomed in the future
Rutland has a right to be proud – it has more parks than any other community in the city, it’s a major hub for sports and recreation activities and has a diverse community of citizens with strong local roots.
It has also seen some significant changes during the past decade. In the last two years alone, with construction of new transit facilities, community parks, sidewalks/landscapin?g, improvements to recreation facilities, Rutland has seen $25 million in capital investments.
With its mixture of urban and rural areas located on the doorstep of UBC Okanagan, Rutland will continue to evolve as one of Kelowna’s uniquely attractive communities.
Register getinvolved.kelowna.ca to join the online conversation or drop by one of the information sessions planned throughout the community:
- URBA Uptown After Hours Event (Feb. 5, 5 to 7 p.m. at Army, Navy Airforce Vets Club)
- Plaza 33 (Feb. 6 from noon - 2:30 p.m.)
- Willow Park Plaza (Feb. 6 from 3 to 5:30 p.m.)
- Rutland Centennial Hall Flea Market (Feb. 9 & 16 from 9 a.m. to noon)
- Rutland Activities Centre (Feb. 11 from 9:30 to 11:30 a.m.)
- YMCA (Feb. 11 from 4 to 6 p.m.)
- Or drop off ideas at Uptown Rutland Office, 148 Valleyview Rd.
Other social media channels include Facebook at facebook/cityofkelowna or Twitter using #OurRutland.
News from © InfoTel News Ltd, 2014